Beauty, Fashion and Lifestyle Blog

April 20, 2017

Talk Thursdays - Postpartum: What They Don't Tell You

SMH is how I'll start this post.  After years of infertility, I've been blessed to have two non-eventful pregnancies (believe me, this is a good thing).  The only thing I can complain about is having to do NST's (non-stress tests) quite often in my third trimesters (the first pregnancy, they feared something was wrong with my placenta and the second pregnancy was only due to age...yayyyyy 40). Postpartum for me on the other hand has been where the party gets started.  This is not meant to depress or scare anyone, but to make you aware.  No one told me and I wish they did.  Here is what they don't tell you after you've just pushed out a human.

5.  You are susceptible to postpartum depression up to FIVE years after pushing out your human.  Yes, you read correctly.  I thought it was a year...I was wrong! REBUKE! Thankfully, I didn't have this, but I did have the baby blues, which passed after the first two weeks.

4.  Most women may know this, but there are still some that don't.  All that beautiful hair you gained and retained during pregnancy, may be on the floor months after birth and I don't mean light shedding.  I mean it can come out in clumps.  Some women experience dramatic hair loss around the temples.  It will grow back, you just have to go thru it and know it's just part of the process.

3.  Your body has just gone thru a VERY stressful situation.  That stress can cause a host of problems way after you've pushed out this tiny human.  I gave birth in September 2012 to my first child and a few months later was diagnosed with chronic hives due to the 'anxiety' the pregnancy caused??  Who knew.  I was told I may have to live with it for the rest of my life, but y'all know my friend Jesus, right?

2.  Your risk factor for Pulmonary Embolism (blood clots in lungs) increases greatly with pregnancy.  This one was a shocker and very traumatic for me.  Two weeks after giving birth, I had some discomfort in my chest and chalked it up to indigestion.  Thank God for the back pain that sent me to the ER.  It wasn't a moment too soon.  I almost died. More importantly, I had to be away from my newborn.

1.  You will not leave the hospital the size you were when you got pregnant, despite what you see on  tv.  You leave still looking very pregnant! I thought I was gonna have my snapback as soon as my first daughter popped out.  It took months for me to even resemble myself.  This go round, it may take even longer...reference the age aforementioned and I developed an umbilical hernia (yeah, this can happen too) which will most likely require surgery.

Still want to have a baby...lol  
I would do it all over again, for the two blessings I now have.  I thank God for making me a woman.  We are powerful and strong, beyond measure.  We push out humans.


 4/2013 

 4/2013

3/2017

Me and my girls 4/2017- I could cry. I'm so in love
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig